Renovation Headaches

Related Posts
1 How to Choose ID
2 Protect Yourself Against Unscrupulous Contractors
3 Engaging an ID
4 Our Renovation Cost & ID
5 ID Contact
6 ID Update
7 Renovation headaches
8 ID Topic Revisited

UPDATE:  Jan 2011

Hi bluefly,

thank u for ur honest comment =) i have seen ur blog and have actually
submitted a thread on my enquiry on my quote... but we have already signed the contract so hopefully things will turn out fine...am still worried coz the decision we made now is going to haunt us should we make a mistake =((

cheers
iseearainbbow

dear iseearainbow,

Yes, I know what you mean.  In the renovation industry there are 'black

sheep' IDs / contractors who don't care about the finer reno details or the customer's interests once the contract has been signed. They know that when problems happen, they can get away with it by passing the buck back to the customer ("do again - you bear the cost, ok?" ) or suppliers (see my post(s) on my laminated floor problem, bathroom water outlet issue, etc).

Moreover, even if the fault clearly lies with the contractor, many of us won't know what to do or where and whom to turn to for help.  The customer is always at the losing end and at the mercy of the contractor bcoz any delay means he cannot move into the flat as scheduled.  Sigh.

So we keep our fingers crossed and hope for the best, isn't it?

Yes, I get many emails from readers, desperately asking for advice and suggestion as to what they should do for their particular situation.  Too bad I could not help much, much as I wanted to.

I was not the one who had recommended the ID or contractor.  And if I find the fault lies with the contractor, he

could say I was biased and favored the customer bcoz I was a not in the construction line. (Or something like that, based on a real case when I tried to help a friend).

Someone also suggested I start a registry of reliable IDs,  contractors, installers, and suppliers who had done good work, based on readers' feedback and recommendation.

The problem is, how do you know the feedback is genuine and true, and not some falsehoods written by contractors / renovators colluding with their customers to provide false feedback to attract more customers?



As you know, I cannot and won't permit this blog to be used to endorse shoddy workmanship or shady contractors.

Well, if you or anyone has other suggestions and ideas, please shout, ok?

cheers

bluefly aka greencoal

Related Posts
1 How to Choose ID
2 Protect Yourself Against Unscrupulous Contractors
3 Engaging an ID
4 Our Renovation Cost & ID
5 ID Contact
6 ID Update
7 Renovation headaches
8 ID Topic Revisited
 

Copyright © 2008-2011 bfcAsia - All photos and contents are copyrighted material of shunFoto.com • All Rights Reserved